Review: The Hopes and Triumphs of the Amir Sisters

The Hopes and Triumphs of the Amir Sisters The Hopes and Triumphs of the Amir Sisters by Nadiya Hussain
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is not the usual genre I read, but every now and then I do like something other than a thriller. I have to say this is such a charming tale of family and love.

Mae is 19 and in her first year at uni, she’s lonely and feeling a bit lost. She has a really bad day and heads for a bar….now this girl doesn’t touch alcohol normally, but ends up just a bit worse for wear and a guy tries to take advantage of her. She is rescued and taken home by Ji Su…..

Mae and Ji Su become close friends, but one night a shared kiss changes things. They stop speaking and then Mae fails her first year and heads home.

Here, family chaos with babies and sisters, she feels invisible.

She gets a summer job and meets a lovely, kind man, Abdul-Raheem….a possible relationship her family would just not understand or accept.

Will Mae make the right decision for herself?

A beautifully written tale of family, sexuality, faith, acceptance and growing up.. A funny, warm hug of a read. I loved every minute.

Thank you to Jess at HQ and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this lovely book for free. This is my honest and unbiased review.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts