Review: The Pelican

The Pelican The Pelican by M. Naidoo
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Julia finds out she has cancer and decides to keep a promise to herself, made years before when watching her mother struggle through cancer, chemo and ultimately her death.

She decides to disappear, to deal with her own cancer, her mortality, alone. She wants to spare her husband and family the heartache of watching her fade away.

This is an incredibly emotional tale, (which I personally found a difficult read due to my own health….I’m currently undergoing treatment for stage 4 malignant melanoma) and I can fully understand her reasoning, to protect those closest to you, but also to protect yourself……trying to cope with your own emotions is tough enough without having to think of others too at an incredibly difficult time.

A story of utter selflessness with the intent on sparing her family pain and the unhappy memories. Wonderfully emotive writing…… have a box of tissues with you, when you read this..……you’ll need them.

Thank you to Rachel’s Random Resources for a free copy of the ebook. This is my honest, unbiased review.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts