Review: Bitter Leaves

Bitter Leaves Bitter Leaves by Tabatha Stirling
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was lucky enough to get to read this on The Pigeonhole for free and this is my honest opinion.

MY REVIEW

This is a story of the lives of the wealthy and their maids in Singapore. There are different nationalities of the Ma’am’ s and the maids are mainly Filipina. There any similarities end, as the treatment some of these poor girls receive is at times brutal, cruel and violent, yet at others there is such kindness and love…it’s a rollercoaster of a read and your heart will be broken, but then gently put back together.

This is an amazing book, the writing was just so emotional and evocative I have been transported to Singapore. I loved the separate POV’s as it gave each character their own voice and personality. Tragic, sad, anger inducing and then hope and love, a book to touch your soul. This will stay with me for a long time and I’m going to have to read it again soon. Thank you Tabatha for an experience and Pigeonhole for the opportunity read such an original tale.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts