Household Encyclopaedia



I’m a bit weary today after my Pembro on Tuesday...so thought I’d have a read of my Grandmothers Household Encyclopaedia....there’s no date in it unfortunately, but it’s approximately 1950’s.

So I thought I’d share a post every day...but please don’t use the remedies...I have no idea what half the ingredients etc are and certainly wouldn’t want to use them these days....

So, here’s the first.....


Aaron’s Beard

Popular name for St John’s Wort, a hardy attractive plant with yellow flowers, growing freely in sandy soil, suitable for rock gardens or for bordering on slopes. The reptant variety flowers in July and is of otrailing habit: easily cultivated and full flowered. They are perennial and increased by division.




Abrasions 

Grazing, scratching or otherwise breaking the surface of the skin. Thoroughly bathe with boracic lotion to cleanse all diet or grit, then apply iodine and bind up until the skin has reformed. Watch daily in case inflammation sets in, when apply hot, fomentations at intervals.

Abscess 


Homely remedy. Boil a fair sized parsnip to a pulp. Bathe the affected area with the water in which the parsnip has been boiled and then apply the parsnip pulp itself as hot as it can be borne.......WTF?



Comments

Popular Posts