Review: The Last Children of Tokyo

The Last Children of Tokyo The Last Children of Tokyo by Yōko Tawada
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Yoko Tawana has written a thoroughly compelling tale where the elderly live forever but the children age fast.

Mumei is very young, intelligent and confident but he is aging fast. His bones and teeth are soft and his hair turns white, all while in the care of his great grandfather who adores him. Most of the children in the tale are looked after by grandparents as the children’s parents have left them behind through various circumstances, It’s a great tale with insights in to Japanese culture which I found fascinating. It is a thought provoking tale and at times sad but shows how strong the human spirit can be. I loved it.

I would like to thank the author/publisher/NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for a fair and honest review

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts